Leica has released a major firmware update (3.0) for the three year old Leica Q (Type 116). Local Leica Q users will get the following improvements in their Leica Q when they update to the latest version:
- Favourites Menu: Leica Q users can now enter and save up to 15 favourite settings for faster access in a new Favourites Menu.
- Power Saving Mode: If required, the camera can now be easily set to switch to Stand-By Mode after 10 seconds.
- Extended functions for the Fn button: Even more options can now be selected for programming the multi-function button.
- User Profiles: Profiles can now be imported from and exported to a memory card.
- OIS – optional ‘Auto’ setting: This setting enables automatic activation of optical image stabilisation at shutter speeds of 1/60 s and slower.
- EVF/LCD setting options: This menu item can now be assigned to the Fn button.
- Settings for the electronic shutter: The Leica Q’s electronic shutter can now be set to permanently active.
- DNG files: The processing speed of DNG files in the camera has been tremendously increased.
- Autofocus fields: The last AF field used is now memorised and recalled when switching the camera off and on again.
- Self-timer: The setting is now memorised and recalled when switching the camera off and on again.
- Exposure preview deactivation option: Exposure preview can now be deactivated in manual mode (especially useful when shooting in the studio with flash systems, underexposed settings or in dark environments).
- Image review: Automatic image review remains active as long as the shutter release button is pressed.
To download the latest Leica Q 3.0 firmware, simply head over to the Leica Support Page: https://bit.ly/2tQQ1lo. It’s just a small 49.18MB download that should quickly finish. If you are interested to know why I upgraded to a Leica, you can visit Drinking The Leica Kool-Aid.